3.18.2009

Tango lesson 8

So I'm doing okay! I'm measuring this on two criteria: (1) I feel good and (2) less intervention from the teachers. The crossover is seriously testing me, but I should survive.

My only notable observation from this week's lesson is: I'm not really listening to the music. And I should be.

I appear to be too absorbed by what's happening in my body and with my partner. The music is like a distant sound creating a soft background. I'm not actively listening to the tempo so as to move with greater purpose.

So my challenge over the next weeks is to:

(1) Listen to more tango music especially when I'm not in the studio. I listen to some at work - as recommended by many - but I need to listen more... and more attentively.

(2) Not rely on my partner so much to set the tempo.

(3) Try to better understand the role of music in tango.

So much to learn - but so exciting.

7 comments:

Mtnhighmama said...

YES! Listen to the music more, but for right now it's probably better to do that outside of class. In class is good too, but it's sensory overload in some cases.

The music becomes part of you, but almost like it is a limb or something that has always been you. It's the third partner in the dance where you all meld together.

As for staying on the beat, I am sometimes the one that actually keeps the beat in our dance. It may be because my partner isn't hearing it and it drives me nuts so I hold the beat to keep sane, or it may be that I hold it so he can lead the melody or something he hears. But it is YOUR job to always step on the beat unless directly lead otherwise. A good leader will expect it of you.

Which is why you need to listen to the music outside of dance. Both with intention and without. When it is always around you it becomes your heartbeat and you know it as intimately as you know your breath. And then, even when it is an unfamiliar piece to you, you still remember how to breathe.

It's such a pleasure reading your discovery of tango. I look forward to it every week.

Anonymous said...

An excellent and very advanced observation! Once you learn what the basic leads are asking of you physically, you should stop thinking altogether and just feel :-)

ad said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to compose such a beautiful passage. The way that you write about the music reminds me of the way my teachers talk about yoga.

I am taking every bit of advice to heart. Wish me luck!

xx

ad said...

Johanna: I'm very much still learning what the basic leads are asking of me - but I'm also keeping my eye on the bigger picture. I look forward to the "just feeling" part :)

Mtnhighmama said...

Nice post by Ampstertango on the evolution of enjoying/listening to/understanding tango music.

http://ampstertango.blogspot.com/2009/03/my-meanderings-through-tango-music.html

Anonymous said...

You are killing me with the shoe pictures. I tend to get distracted quite easily and forget to read the post. I am too busy gawking at the damn picture!

ad said...

Great referral Mtnhighmama!

AMC: Did you visit the website? nuevaepoca.de - go now!