5.21.2008

Darjeeling Limited

While preparing dinner this evening - stuffed artichokes, yum! - I watched The Darjeeling Limited. I wanted to see this movie for several reasons:
  1. To block out my distaste of "Life Aquatic"
  2. Because I like India
  3. Because I like Owen Wilson
  4. Because I like darjeeling tea
Although I wasn't wowed by the film overall, there were several parts that I did like.
  • The moment when Rita, the stewardess, is standing in the door speaking to Jack - did you notice that in the mirror behind her in the room, you can see her long exquisite back and just a whisper of her bum?
  • The Hotel Chevalier short that opened the film - and the film itself - is essentially about gestures and the meaning we attach to them. I kept getting the breath knocked out of me for the smallest gestures, the tiniest of movements. Natalie Portman depositing her perfume bottle in the chest. Jack clicking through to the song of his choice on the iPod. Natalie Portman keeping her socks on.
  • And Natalie Portman just knocked me out. I found the whole scene really sexy. How often do you walk up your street hoping to see that person sitting on the curb, waiting for you? How often do you wish the phone to ring, an unexpected call from that person, informing you that they're coming over right now, whether you like it or not? NPortman coming through that door - unapologetic about not wanting him a month ago, about the men she may have slept with in the meanwhile, about wanting him now and that's all that matters - was pure sex. It was charged and hot and it made me start casting hopeful glances to my front door...
  • The funeral for the boy, and all those gorgeous brown children with dusty faces
Surprisingly, it took me a long time to figure out the whole literal-and-figurative baggage imagery. Nearly made me drop my mango when I did. So sneaky.

No comments: